Subject: Hem coming out: Amazon Order # 113-5699173-3971456
From: Helita Dewitt <[email-masked]>
To: info <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2025 16:03:56 -0700

Hello Brandy-

We are sorry to hear the hem is coming out on one of the towel sets.
Kindly note this item is only sold as a set and not individually, and so we
are unable to send a single replacement towel.  Since this item just
delivered on July 16th, we suggest contacting Amazon for a full replacement
while you are still within their 30-day return window.  Their customer
service contact number is 888-280-4331.  If you were initially referred to
us, please let Amazon know that you have already been in contact with us
and were informed we do not have the individual towel available.  Again, we
apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Helita

Ecommerce Support Team Supervisor

[email-masked]

*From:* info <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Friday, July 18, 2025 3:19 PM
*To:* JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Fw: Hem coming out

------------------------------

*From:* Brandy Boessen <[email-masked]>
*Sent:* Friday, July 18, 2025 15:04
*To:* info <[email-masked]>
*Subject:* Re: Hem coming out

Picture to accomdate previous email. Meant to send with and forgot.  Amazon
invoice attached as well.

Brandy Boessen
231 W Main St.
Westphalia, MO 65085
(573) 418-7374

On Fri, Jul 18, 2025, 5:01 PM Brandy Boessen <[email-masked]>
wrote:

I ordered off of your store specifically on the amazon site, 4 sets of
towels. 1 of which has the hem coming out.

Can I get a replacement towel? And paid return shipping for the towel that
is coming apart or what are my options?  Do i need to just return the
entire set? (Likely not reordering if thats the case so trying to avoid
this.  Such a hassle and have kids so need the towels and washcloths here
in the process)

Brandy Boessen
231 W Main St.
Westphalia, MO 65085
(573) 418-7374