Subject: Request for start a return for the order from Macy
From: kexin geng <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2025 17:00:16 -0700

Hi there,

Hope you have a great weekend.

This is Weixiang. I'm writing to inquire about the possibility of returning
an order I placed from Macy and the items were shipped from the provider -
Designer Living.

I placed the order for the curtains in January from Macy's official
website, and they were delivered to the UPS pickup point, as I was out of
the country at that time, Once I back, I realized the size of the curtains
was incorrect when I picked up the package.

I've tried to contact Macy's customer service to start the return, but they
told me that the order was over 30 days from shipped and it was from a
third party. so I need to contact with your customer services to apply for
the return.

Could you kindly advise if it is possible to process a return for this
order? I would appreciate your guidance on the next steps. Thank you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Weixiang