Subject: Chair Issues
From: Lea Powell <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2025 20:32:04 -0600

Hello,
On 2/17 purchased two 510 Design "Paula Cream Arm Chair with Slipcover"
from the Home Depot with their president's day sale, paying $176.89 per
chair. Below is the link.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/510-Design-Paula-Cream-Arm-Chair-with-Slipcover-5DS100-0033/331264912

When I received both chairs, one top cushion was thicker than the other, as
pictured below. The top cushion in the picture measures 6in height which is
the correct measurement per the product description on the website, but the
second chair's cushion on the bottom in the picture measures 5in height.

Not only was the cushion height different. The bottom of the chair cushions
were manufactured differently, as pictured below. The correct 6in cushion
in the back right has fabric bordering the bottom of the cushion. The
incorrect 5in cushion in the front left only has fabric only on one side.
Additionally, on the front left chair, the bottom part did not have any
velcro where the cushion connects to the bottom of the chair. The chair on
the back right had two nice strips of velcro where the cushion connects to
the bottom of the chair.

After I received two different chairs, I returned the one with the
incorrect height cushion in store to Home Depot on 2/23. Then I called to
have them order me a new one and price match it to the sale price I paid.
The lady gave me an additional discount for the issues, and the one chair
total came out to be $108.25.

When I received this new chair, there was the same issue with the incorrect
cushion height, no velcro to connect the cushion to the chair, and
incorrect fabric makeup on the bottom of the cushion. I returned this chair
to Home Depot and ordered TWO more on 3/1 hoping one of those two chairs
would have the correct cushion height and have velcro.

I go in store to pick up the two chairs today on 3/6, and both chairs have
the same issue with no velcro and the incorrect cushion height. I returned
both chairs due to the issues yet again. I am emailing to express my deep
frustration. I am hoping your company will send me a new chair for free due
to the 3 incorrect chairs I have received. I want to ensure the new chair I
am sent has the correct two strips of velcro pieces on the bottom of the
chair, the correct square fabric border as shown in the picture below, and
a thick cushion height of 6in.