Subject: Order
From: Keishla López <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 10:58:46 -0600

Hello Keishla / Walmart-

Thank you for your email.  Unfortunately, it is too late to cancel Order #
200012910976134/ Purchase Order No: 109005162046547.  This order has
already shipped on FedEx tracking # 772199863687.

I recently purchased a mattress cover from Walmart however, I later noticed
that I was charged twice for the same item, even though I only placed one
order. This appears to be an error on your system’s end.

I contacted customer service to cancel the duplicate order, but I was
informed that it could not be canceled. I find this unacceptable, as I did
not authorize a second purchase. Since this was a mistake, I kindly request
an immediate refund for the duplicate charge.

Please provide a resolution as soon as possible. If necessary, I am willing
to return the extra item once it arrives. However, I expect a full refund
for the unauthorized charge. I appreciate your prompt attention to this
matter.
Keishla Lopez