Subject: Re: Designer Living Order D244220679
From: Jennifer Whitney <[email-masked]>
To: "Customer Service [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 11:04:41 -0700

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for reaching out, I moved about 10 months ago and kept my original
billing address. If it is easier, you can change the billing address to the
shipping address 6242 Warner Ave Unit 6H, Huntington Beach, CA 92647.

My credit card billing address is still 298 Carlyn Ave, Campbell CA 95008
which is why I kept it as the billing address on this order. Let me know if
you need any more information or if it is more convenient for me to call
the number listed.

Thanks,
Jennifer

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 10:58 AM Customer Service [email-masked] <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello Jennifer-
>
>
> We are contacting you with Designer Living Customer Service regarding
> Order D244220679. This order got into error status due to a
> different billing and shipping addresses.  When there is an order at which
> the billing address does not match the shipping address, we contact the
> customer to verify that this is a valid purchase. This is an effort to
> prevent Credit Card fraud, and to give our customers a secure shopping
> experience.
>
> To verify this order, please respond back to this email or contact our
> customer service team at 888-879-8790 M-F 7am-3:30pm PST.
>
> Please note we can only hold the order in our system for 24-72 business
> hours.  If this purchase is not verified within this time-frame, the order
> will be cancelled.  Thank you.
>
>
>
> Sincerely,
> Kyle
>
> Designer Living Customer Service
>
> 888-879-8790
>