From: Jerry Lowery <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:48:31 -0600

These are photos of everything in the box, on the box, top and bottom of
the box and the device in the box which I have no conceivable idea what it
is. What it definitely is not is a queen comforter set. Of that I am
certain. Comparing the photo of the package left at my door the boxes are
one and the same as reasonable scrutiny will confirm. I have now submitted
every piece of evidence available and it should be crystal clear that FedEx
left the wrong package. I suspect the driver scanned the correct package
while in the truck and then subsequently picked up the wrong package on
arrival at my address. Otherwise I fail to understand how the mistake was
made however a queen comforter set was not delivered.
If you have any questions please let me know. How your company chooses to
remedy this situation, ship a replacement item or cancel the transaction
and refund is immaterial to me. I would like to resolve this matter as soon
as possible.
Thank you,
Jerry Lowery
Jerry Lowery [email-masked]