Subject: RESPONSE REQUIRED: Missing screws #Ref 20231025003110136 - Amazon Order # 114-4055048-2143435
From: Helita Dewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:17:52 -0700

Hello Ravi-

We are sorry to hear your table arrived without the screws.  As per our
phone conversation, we show no record of your Amazon order in our system.
It appears this item shipped directly out of Amazon’s fulfillment center.
In order for us check to and see if we have the screws available, please
provide the copy of the online Amazon Order confirmation that includes the
information below.  Please do *not* send a list of what was ordered; we
need the actual online order confirmation.  Thank you, kindly.

   - Place of Purchase
   - Date of Purchase
   - Order / Reference Number
   - Description of the item ordered
   - Ship to Address / Contact Name
   - Photo of the packaging and item ordered

Best Regards,

Helita

Ecommerce Support Team Supervisor

[email-masked]

*From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Wednesday, October 25, 2023 11:02 AM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* RE:Missing screws #Ref 20231025003110136

===============================================================================

Hello-

I ordered an end table on Amazon and it is missing screws. It is a very
heavy product and difficult to return. Please advise.

Thanks,

Ravi Kline (she, her, hers)