Subject: RE: Amazon purchase - Amazon Order # 111-9524861-4637850
From: Helita Dewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 12:27:49 -0700

Hello Shelly-

We are sorry to hear of the issues with the rug you purchased at Amazon.
Since you just received this item, we suggest working directly with Amazon
for the return/refund of this item while you are still within their 30-day
return frame.  You may reach Amazon’s customer service number at
888-280-4331.  If Amazon initially directed you to us, please inform them
you have already contacted us, and we recommended you work directly with
them since this item is still within their return frame.  Thank you, and
again, we are sorry for the circumstances.

Best Regards,

Helita

Ecommerce Support Team Supervisor

[email-masked]

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Friday, September 29, 2023 11:47 AM
*To:* JLA Customer Service
*Subject:* Fwd: Amazon purchase

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Shelly Guy* <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 1:20 PM
Subject: Amazon purchase
To: <[email-masked]>

Hello - I really like my new carpet. I rolled it out carpet last night and
discovered a few issues with it. Some might be fixable, however I'm afraid
the snag isn't.

Please see the attached photos of the one large snag. As well as the three
stained areas. What can be done about this?

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thanks in advance for your help.

Shelly Guy

608 S Adams St

Raymore, MO