Subject: Customer: Viktoriya Vatova, TRK# 782406343319, Order# 108820478760375
From: Steven Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "Customer Service [email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Carla Marquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 12:50:14 -0400

Good Morning,

We received a return from the following customer. Upon looking up the order
number we found that the item number indicated in the order is not the item
that was received. We physically received item number MPE13-171, however
the item number in the order was MP13-7774. Would you be able to find out
if the customer sent back the wrong item by accident or if they were
returning the item due to receiving the wrong item.

Please advise how you would like us to proceed with this return.

Please see attachment for photo of item received and return label for
reference

Thank you

Steven Adams

Rework Clerk

550 Northport Pkwy

Port Wentworth, GA 31407

*O:*912.373.7778 x 3845