Subject: RE: Customer: Jim & Donna Scanlon, TRK# 1Z8V772R0317874062, Item# MP10-7392, Return# 20230712
From: Lisa Petros <[email-masked]>
To: Kristal Groover <[email-masked]>, Steven Adams <[email-masked]>, ecomcs <[email-masked]>
Cc: Customer Service <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2023 09:44:59 -0700

Any way we can get the attached pictures, as well?

Thank you,

Lisa Petros

Customer Service Director

E&E Co., Ltd dba JLAHome.

925-583-9301

*From:* Kristal Groover [mailto:[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Friday, August 11, 2023 9:15 AM
*To:* Steven Adams; ecomcs
*Cc:* Customer Service; Customer Service [email-masked]
*Subject:* Re: Customer: Jim & Donna Scanlon, TRK# 1Z8V772R0317874062,
Item# MP10-7392, Return# 20230712

Adding ECOM cs team.

Kristal Groover

Operations Manager

550 Northport Pkwy

Port Wentworth, GA 31407

*O:*912.373.7778 x 3748

On Fri, Aug 11, 2023 at 9:20 AM Steven Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

Good Morning,

We received a return from the following customer. Upon looking in EEC in
the Return list and Sales list we are unable to find any information for
this customer regarding this order.

Not sure if this is an Olliix or Designer Living order.

Please see attachment for photos of Return Label and Return# for reference

Please advise how you would like us to proceed with this return.

Thank You

Steven Adams

Rework Clerk

550 Northport Pkwy

Port Wentworth, GA 31407

*O:*912.373.7778 x 3845