Subject: RE: Payment Capture Failed for Designer Living Order D237310903
From: Sally Shen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 09:58:39 -0700

Hi Helita,

Can you please give me your phone# that I can call you to ask few questions?

I couldn’t get hold of anyone through the 888 # listed below.

Thanks,

Sally

E & E CO., LTD

45875 Northport Loop East

Fremont, CA 94538

O: 510-946-2319

F: 510-490-2804

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 1, 2023 8:21 AM
*To:* [email-masked]
*Subject:* Re: Payment Capture Failed for Designer Living Order D237310903

My apologies, I meant to address you by, Sally.

Sincerely,

Helita

Designer Living Customer Service

1-888-879-8790

[email-masked]

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 8:16 AM Customer Service [email-masked] <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello Robin-

Thank you for your order with Designer Living.  Unfortunately, your credit
card transaction did not capture the amount of *$550.15*.  Please log back
into your account and confirm your credit card information such as the:
credit card number, CVV code, expiration date, and billing address; or
please use a different credit card.

You also have the option of contacting our customer service team at
1-888-879-8790 to provide a new credit card number.  If we do not hear from
you within the next 48 business hours, this order will be cancelled, and
you will have to place a new order.

If you have already placed a new order, please let us know so we can cancel
this existing order.  Thank you.

Sincerely,
Helita
Designer Living Customer Service

1-888-879-8790