Subject: RE: customer: Valerie Barclay, TRK#397882017329, Order# 108811843454210, Item# MP10-7777
From: Lisa Petros <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
Cc: Steven Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:34:42 -0700

Steven –

Please return the item to stock.  It is for DL order W234270C77 and we have
processed the refund on Walmart.

Thank you,

Lisa Petros

Customer Service Director

E&E Co., Ltd dba JLAHome.

925-583-9301

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 20, 2023 9:57 AM
*To:* JLA Customer Service
*Subject:* Fwd: customer: Valerie Barclay, TRK#397882017329, Order#
108811843454210, Item# MP10-7777

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Steven Adams* <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 12:36 AM
Subject: Re: customer: Valerie Barclay, TRK#397882017329, Order#
108811843454210, Item# MP10-7777
To: <[email-masked]>, Kristal Groover <[email-masked]>

Good Afternoon,

Following up on this email.

Thank You

Steven Adams

Rework Clerk

550 Northport Pkwy

Port Wentworth, GA 31407

*O:*912.373.7778 x 3845

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 8:21 AM Steven Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

Good Morning,

We received a return from the following customer, however we are unable to
locate any return information in EEC for this customer. Please advise how
you would like us to proceed with this return.

please see attachment for photos of return label and product.

Thank You

Steven Adams

Rework Clerk

550 Northport Pkwy

Port Wentworth, GA 31407

*O:*912.373.7778 x 3845