Subject: Incomplete Shipment #Ref 2023050300311861
From: Helita Dewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2023 14:52:42 -0700

Hello Michael-

Thank you for your email.  While we understand and are sorry for the
circumstances, there is *only* a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty for all
furniture items.

In addition, we do *not* have the side rails or a hardware kit available
for this item.  Based on these conditions, we are unable to assist further
at this time.

Best Regards,

Helita

Ecommerce Support Team Supervisor

[email-masked]

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Monday, May 08, 2023 2:14 PM
*To:* JLA Customer Service
*Subject:* Fwd: Re: Incomplete Shipment #Ref 2023050300311861

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Michael Wagner* <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, May 9, 2023 at 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: Re: Incomplete Shipment #Ref 2023050300311861
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hello, Kyle.  As stated in my original e-mail to your company,

we did not receive side rails or a hardware kit in the box

when we ordered our bed.

Original note:

Dear Folks at Designerliving,

My wife and I bought your Madison Park Beckett Queen bed from

Wayfair on 10/02/2021 but, due to difficulties with various

contractors our construction project did not get finished until

recently.  We were shocked to see that our bed has no side rails

or hardware kit, just headboard, footboard, center support

legs and box spring support slats.

We realize that a year-and-a-half is quite a gap in

communication, but we are hoping that you might hear our

plea for help and send us a pair of queen side rails and a

hardware kit so we can assemble our bed and place it on

the new rug in the new room!  We have absolutely no clue how

the manufacturer could have erred in such a way, sending

an incomplete order; the other components seem to be of

respectable quality, though.

Please let us know if you are able to help.  We got the

natural color bed.  Thanks so much.

Respectfully,

Michael and Christine Wagner

42 Chestnut Street

Phoenix, NY  13135

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 4:28 PM [email-masked] <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Hello Mike-

Thank you for your email. Can you please elaborate more on how can we
assist you? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Kyle

Designer Living Customer Service

1-888-879-8790

[email-masked]

===============================================================================

Thank you.....any update on the status of this case?

I can send pictures of the materials we received

if you need me to.

Thanks.

Mike

On Wed, May 3, 2023 at 6:40 PM [email-masked] <
[email-masked]> wrote:

Thank you for your Email!  One of our Customer Service representatives will
respond to your inquiry within the next 24 business hours.  We have
assigned a reference number to your email subject, so please do not change
or remove the subject of your email.

Please note that our business hours of operation are Monday   Friday,
7:00am   3:30pm PST.

Sincerely,

Designer Living Customer Service