Subject: Wrong Item Recieved. Customer: Maria Elena Jimenez, REF# 108806288032443
From: Steven Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, Kristal Groover <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 09:37:13 -0400

Good Morning,

We just received a customer return from the following customer. The item
that we received does not match what is attached to the RA#. CS10-1291 is
on RA# and MS5244409622-07 is what we received.  Can we get an RA# created
for the item that we received so that this can be processed? Please advise
how you would like us to proceed with this return.

Please see attached photo for return label.

Thank You

-- 
*Thank You,*
*Steven Adams*
*Reworks Clerk*
*OA Logistics SV2*
*550 Northport Pkwy*
*Port Wentworth, GA 31407*
*912-373-7778 Ext 3845*