Subject: RE: Vesta King Size Low Profile Bed- Replacements Needed
From: Gordon Christopherson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 11:18:19 -0800

Hello Tawny,

Thank you for contacting JLA Home. We are sorry to hear of any issues you
are having with your item.  Can you please send some picture showing the
issue you are having with your item?  We have found your order information
with what you have provided us.  Once we obtain these pictures, we can then
move forward with the next steps.  Please also advise and confirm your
shipping address.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Gordon

E-Commerce Support Team

[email-masked]

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Friday, December 30, 2022 7:13 AM
*To:* JLA Customer Service
*Subject:* Fwd: Vesta King Size Low Profile Bed- Replacements Needed

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Tawny K* <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 9:23 AM
Subject: Vesta King Size Low Profile Bed- Replacements Needed
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Good Morning,

I purchased this bed from Wayfair [order 2824997356] and it arrived damaged.

The holes in slats are out of alignment with the holes elsewhere on the bed
in which they need to be secured. The three legs for the middle beam do not
stay installed/fall off with any movement.

Wayfair customer service advised this bed has a one year warranty. As I am
within the warranty period please advise when replacement parts will be
sent or refund issued.

Thank you

Tawny Kinch