Subject: RE: Product Inquiry
From: Helita Dewitt <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], JLA Customer Service <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:30:10 -0700

Hello Team-

I already responded to this inquiry through our Wayfair email address:
[email-masked].

Best Regards,

Helita

Ecommerce Support Team Supervisor

[email-masked]

*From:* Customer Service [email-masked] [mailto:
[email-masked]]
*Sent:* Wednesday, August 31, 2022 8:51 AM
*To:* JLA Customer Service
*Subject:* Fwd: Product Inquiry

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Remi Arminas* <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 9:53 AM
Subject: Product Inquiry
To: <[email-masked]>

Good Morning,

My name is Remi, I am contacting you from Wayfair Professional on behalf of
one of my clients. I just left a voicemail on your answering machine, but
my client would need 4 sets of chairs. They showed in stock 10 min before I
tried to add them to the cart, then they showed out of stock. Wondering if
that is a glitch. The chairs they are interested in is SKU: MP108-0788
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/brayden-studio-faunsdale-dining-side-chair-w000605153.html?&experiencetype=1
<https://b2b.wayfair.com/t/100709/c/d02422e0-8ad1-4d1a-9759-611e41eeb2e0/NB2HI4DTHIXS653XO4XHOYLZMZQWS4ROMNXW2L3GOVZG42LUOVZGKL3QMRYC6YTSMF4WIZLOFVZXI5LENFXS2ZTBOVXHGZDBNRSS2ZDJNZUW4ZZNONUWIZJNMNUGC2LSFV3TAMBQGYYDKMJVGMXGQ5DNNQ7SMZLYOBSXE2LFNZRWK5DZOBST2MI=/www-wayfair-com-furniture-pdp-brayden-studio-faunsdale-dining-side-chair-w0>

Please let me know the inventory at your earliest convenience as well as
back in stock date if they are currently unavailable. Thanks so much. Have
a great day.

Best Regards,

*Remi Arminas*

B2B Outbound Sales Specialist

*Wayfair Professional*

Phone: 1-857-306-0444

Fax: 617-391-4212

M-F 8:30am-4:30pm EST

[email-masked]  <[email-masked]>