Subject: Re: Appropriate Person
From: Garrett Colantino <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 14:26:34 -0700

Hi Designer Living Team,

I'm looking for the appropriate person who handles Sales/Business
Development at Designer Living. We're confident we can help you drive an
incremental lift in sales volume by getting you in front of the thousands
of B2B customers in the hospitality, office, food service, education and
contractor verticals that buy through Wayfair Professional (B2B platform).

If this isn't something you handle, would you be able to point me in the
right direction?

You can also throw time on my calendar to connect when you're free: Book
Time Here
<https://gcolantinowayfaircom-dot-mmwayfair.appspot.com/em_uH8tF32QwBOq8sZCLtMl?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalendly.com%2Fgcolantino%2Fexperiment1et&key=49e815e55bfb7d90e993717c25f845f0966a98ce>

Let me know either way so I can note on my end - looking forward to hearing
from you!

Since there is no cost to sign up and you're in full control of launching
and pausing your listing pages, I can go ahead and create a partner portal
account for you. To do so, please answer the questions below:

   1.

   Do you have inventory located in the US or Canada today?
   2.

   Are you authorized to sign legal agreements on behalf of the company? If
   not, please share first, last name and email address of the person who is:
   3.

   Full Legal Business Name:
   4.

   Role/Job Title:
   5.

   Supplier Address, City, State, Zip Code:
   6.

   State/Jurisdiction of Incorporation or Formation:
   7. *Once you enter our Onboarding pipeline, it is critical to complete
   all steps within one week (5 business days) to avoid processing delays that
   will impact your go-live date.*
   - *Is there a specific individual who will be dedicated to completing
      all Onboarding steps on this timeline? If no, when do you expect
to have a
      dedicated resource available?:*
      - *Are there any reasons why you wouldn't be able to meet that
      timeline? If yes, when would you be in position to meet that timeline?:*

FAQ

Wholesale Cost Model: Wayfair doesn't take a percentage of our suppliers’
sales like other traditional e-commerce retailers. We operate on the
wholesale cost model, meaning we pay our suppliers the wholesale cost of
their items, and we set the retail price.

$0 to Ship: Wayfair operates on the drop-ship model, so we send the
customer order to your warehouse, then you pick, pack, and prepare to send
the product directly to the end customer. Wayfair arranges and pays for
100% of the shipping cost.

 Next Steps

Once I have the information above, you will receive an email with access to
Wayfair's Partner Home portal where you will complete your account setup
and the rest of the onboarding process. We’ll provide you with a dedicated
onboarding team that sets you up for success from day one. They are ready
to assist you with the setup process, and get your products live on-site in
as little as one week. From there, you will be able to start selling your
products live on Wayfair.com!

All the best,

Garrett